Puka Dogs and Paradise

Let's just get the apologies out of the way first.  Yes, I'm a bad blogger.  Yes, I've been neglectful.  Nope, I'm not even going to list my excuses because you know I could... 

Ok, now that's over with.  

Many of you know Dan and I celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary in October.  In the spirit of celebration, Dan whisked me off to a romantic getaway to Kauai, Hawaii and Hudson took off to his own paradise otherwise known as Nana and Granddad's.  

As I awoke yesterday morning to frigid temperatures and a dusting of snow on the ground my mind took me back to our getaway, the soft sand beneath my toes, the warm sun on my skin and the crashing waves lulling me into a state of deep relaxation.  What an incredible vacation.   

It's hard now to recount everything we did.  I had big plans of writing a detailed trip summary with reviews and recommendations for our return visit (it never hurts to dream, right?)  But, as time has passed and my memory faded with all the specifics, you'll have to settle for a small glimpse.     

We were thrilled to have gotten the chance to take such an amazing trip with our dear friends the McCauslands.  On our second day on the island, our anniversary, we planned a hiking adventure.  We set out with our backpacks and Kansas plains ambition just excited to see elevation and ready to conquer it.  

AJ our "map man" had it all planned out, all Dan and I had to do was show up, well, and hike, a lot.  The majority of the hike was wooded, with steep inclines and lots of fallen trees and sticky brush. (Nevermind the boys later divulged the trail has been closed for decades). The trail was poorly maintained, but just when I'd start thinking it was a mistake, around a bend would come a breathtaking view, giving me the proof I needed that a) I was covering ground and b) the view was going to be worth it.  And so, we pressed on.  

Wow.  And finally, there it was. There are simply no words in my vocabulary to describe the view.  Crystal blue waters as far as our eyes could see, the majestic Waimea Canyon sprawling beneath us. It was magnificent.  As we stood, awe struck and trying to capture its beauty on our cameras, we were silent.  Suddenly, Dan looked to me and said, "there couldn't be a more perfect place.  Let's renew our vows."  

And so, as God as our only witness (AJ quickly took his photos and headed back down to be with his lovely wife), Dan and I recited the same vows we had spoken exactly 5 years ago amidst the most breathtaking back drop we ever could have imagined.  And while I wasn't in my massive gown, done up with hair and makeup, adorned in sweet smelling flowers, I stood before Dan, blood dripping down my legs from the brush (next time, I'll wear pants :), sweaty, dirty, and smelly, but in that moment, just like I had 5 years ago when we first said "I do" I felt like the most beautiful woman in the world.  It was perfect.  

So how on earth could the rest of the trip possibly hold a candle to such a special moment?  While it didn't hold the same sentimental significance, every moment, in itself was an adventure, an escape and another cherished memory with my dear husband and our dear friends.  Whether it was hula pie and "Free Bird" at Duke's, long drives around the island, kalua pig, children "sledding," finding "Secret" beach, the fake airplane millionaire, drinking from coconuts, a Puka Dog, or maybe two, catching the big one, macadamia nut everything, getting "beached" at Tunnels, getting sea sick, tiki-tinis, shaved ice, getting sea sick again, hot tub nights,  or "the best salad ever," we had an unforgettable trip and I can't wait to do it all again!   Love you guys!  

Don't worry.  I'll post photos.  I'm just having some trouble with this whole "photo stream" thing on iPhone.  









Comments

Popular Posts