Love in every stitch

If you're a faithful follower you may remember a poem I posted just a few weeks ago. (December 2nd if you want to check it out.) On a hectic day I had posted it after a crazy day of continually picking up toys and keeping Hudson away from the dog bowls. There didn't seem to be much time for laundry or dusting or actual cleaning the house and I was feeling like a failure at my "job." It was then that I remembered a phrase I'd heard my mom and Grandma say before; "babies don't keep." And so, I googled as I tend to do to see if it was a "real" saying. There I found it. The poem I posted that day. It was as if the words gave me a warm hug assuring me that I was doing just as I should be, loving and enjoying every moment with my son. Yes, everything else could wait.

The words continued to follow me through the days. As I would become overwhelmed, I heard them comfort me.

Christmas morning my mom called me to her room to show me something. She pulled out a worn frame and handed it to me.



Tears welled up in my eyes as I saw it. The very words that had been playing in my head for weeks were right in front of me. Carefully, Mom turned over the frame to reveal a very special message.

"To Nicole:
My precious angel. This was made with all my love in every stitch.
I love you,
Grandma Baker"

Below she had affixed a portion of my birth announcement.



I couldn't believe what I saw. Why now? Mom explained she had found it cleaning a closet. Just days later, she saw my post with the poem and was taken aback by the timing.

To have found such a treasure made for me was surprising. Sure, everyone is excited about subsequent babies, but there just isn't the same excitement for later babies and time for making such special gifts when there are already babies to play with and kiss. I half expected it had been made for my sister, her first grandbaby, or my brother, the first boy. No. It had been made especially for me, her 4th grandbaby, her 2nd girl. No, no "first" but yet she still had that same love and adoration for me as if I were.

Perhaps that's why this special gift impacted me, but the timing was all the more amazing. Believe what you want, but for me, I know that she is with me. That day, filled with guilt and feelings that I wasn't the mother I had, she was with me and just as though she standing next to me she used these words of a poem to wrap her arms around me in a warm hug (and a kiss, no hug from Grandma was complete without a kiss) still with that same love she had for me even before I was born.

Thank you, Mom, for sharing this with me and thank you Grandma for now being "my precious angel."

Goombie!

Comments

Popular Posts