Too Simple



Yes, I know. You've been waiting on bated breath to find out how the new bed saga unfolded. Did I crack and tear open the boxes and begin feverishly putting it together? And exactly how mad was my husband when he found what I had done?

Turns out, I even surprised myself. I waited until Thursday night and together we assembled the bed. (and by together I mean I sat in a chair and read the instructions as I directed Dan what to do next. Being pregnant really has its perks!)

I was skeptical. As I saw all of the pieces come together I didn't know how this could possibly be the same fabulous bed I had tried in the store. It was too simple. I was expecting something much more complex, more high tech, with lots of moving parts and complexities. This was nothing more than pieces of plastic with foam and some air mattresses. Hardly rocket science here.

I tried not to give it a chance. We made the bed up with all of our new things, new sateen sheets and a new mattress pad and blanket made of some space age material that regulates your body temperature. (You can probably guess who was the target market on that one ;) At this point, I had firmly decided I wasn't going to like it, that we had made a wrong choice. But then..I crawled in and Dan started turning my sleep number down. I was in heaven.

The bed became a fluffy cloud beneath me, the soft sheets cooled my skin and the space blanket warmed me to just the right temperature. I was like Goldilocks in Baby Bear's bed. I tried to fight it, but drifted off to sleep before I could even protest. And as Dan would say, I slept like a baby princess.

Now, I'm sold on this newest member of our family. I love him and there's no way anyone is taking him from me!

Thinking about it now, it doesn't come as much of a surprise I needed a little more convincing. I'm the same girl that met the love of her life when she was 17, but wasn't quite convinced until he came back to her 6 years later that he really was "the one." The same girl who tried on hundreds of wedding dresses only to finally realize the perfect gown was one of the first she had tried. Even when going out to dinner, I come knowing exactly what I want, then meander through 5 other choices before finally landing right back where I started. Some call it high maintenance, some call it difficult. I don't know what it is, but it's just me. I take a while to make up my mind, to fully be sold on something, yet, in my heart, I know it was right all along.

This is just one of the many things that makes Dan and I such a good team. He's shown me to trust my instincts, that life doesn't have to be complicated. Decisions shouldn't be agonized over, rather made with confidence with anticipation of another. So, as Dan and I embark upon one of the biggest decisions and adventures of our lives, I know deep down, even through my fears and anxieties, this was the perfect choice. It's as simple and complicated as that.

So what is my sleep number? Well, you didn't expect me to completely shuck my ways and settle on one just quite yet, did you? Give me some time ... I'll figure it out. :)

PS- I can't conclude the sleep number saga without a special thanks to my wonderful in-laws who helped make our i8 part of our family. You guys are amazing! Love you both!

Comments

Popular Posts