In the words of my Grandma


"Bye sweetheart, I'll see you tonight," Dan says as he gives me a quick kiss. "Ok," I reply, "Goombie!"

Oops.. there she is again.

It happens sometimes. When I least expect it, or when I'm least thinking about it. Suddenly I become possessed by my Grandma and say these things.

It wasn't until I left home that I learned these weren't common phrases. As I belted out "bootis ti rootis" on a chilly day I was met with blank stares. No one quite understood my cries of "titty rump" when I aced my test (rather, thought I was being quite inappropriate). Just yesterday I was astonished that Dan was baffled when I said I had about "foundered" at lunch and might have to put my shoes on backwards or didn't understand the need to purchase new "bed clothes."

For those with the Smith-Baker blood, the last paragraph makes total sense. For others, you think I've lost my mind.

For the clueless folks, here's a brief rundown. Some have basis in "real words," others, I have no idea their origin.

Bootis ti rootis: this pretty much means you're cold. There is an entire chant that follows, but that's the basic idea and to go into any further detail would just have you scratching your head more.

Titty Rump: belted in victory, most applicable when Grandma would go out in a game of cards.

Founder: when a horse eats too much. The remedy? Put its shoes on backwards. This was a common occurrence with my brother's horse, Polka, growing up. (The picture above is kind of what she looked like.)

Bed Clothes are no, not pajamas, these are your sheets and blankets.

...and my personal favorite, Goombie is what Grandma would always say as she kissed us goodbye. I always believed it meant goodbye and I love you.

While I do realize the need to censor my Grandma outbursts, I can't help but smile when they occur. It makes me feel as though she is and always will be with me and for that, I am forever grateful.

Comments

Popular Posts