Panic



We're settling into a routine around here now. Yes, I know, my books would be proud.

Hudson wakes up around 8-8:30, I feed him and then give him a bath, get dressed, then swaddle (can I repeat how much I LOVE the swaddle?) and he gets back in his bed for a morning nap around 10. The morning routine is like a race to get it all done before Hudson hits a wall and then all bets are off on a morning nap.

This week was our first go at flying solo while Dan was out of town. So, without Dan to start the ball rolling on our morning routine by getting him out of bed, changing his diaper and bringing him to me to feed, the race was even more frantic than usual. He ate, had a bath, was dressed, swaddled and laid in his crib. I started his mobile as I always do so he could listen to his music and watch his shapes as he drifted to sleep.

Here's where I need to explain this amazing mobile a bit. Dan and I had looked for months prior to Hudson being born for the "perfect" mobile. Being first-time parents, we wanted something that would "match" his room and be a cute accessory for his crib. Because we had largely designed the room ourselves and pieced together elements, we didn't have the go-to Babies 'R Us mobile that matched everything else. So, we looked, and we looked. Once Hudson arrived, the search for a mobile stopped until one morning I went to get Hudson and found him just lying in his crib staring into space. Suddenly, the point of a mobile seemed much more clear.

I mentioned this to my brother and sister-in-law that evening while visiting at their house. They claimed to have the perfect solution and produced a rather odd looking high tech mobile complete with a remote control. Michael, my nephew, had adored it, and they had held onto it for sentimental value, but said we could borrow it. In the next few weeks Hudson began to awaken to the mobile. I cannot possibly speak to how amazing this thing is. It is our new must have item. Hudson kicks and smiles as it moves over him (above is a picture of him enjoying it and a photo of this amazing piece of work by Sassy). It lulls him to a calm and then he drifts to sleep. (all the while periodically peering overhead to make sure it's still there)

So, this morning, as Hudson cooed at his shapes and faded into slumber I tip-toed out of the room and rushed to get started on what I needed to do. But, something wasn't right. Hudson let out a cry of distress. I looked to see what was wrong and while the music was still playing, the mobile had stopped. I grabbed the remote and pushed the button. It didn't start. I went to the crib, pushed the button. Nope. I jiggled it. No. I started to panic. My heart pounded and my breathing quickened. Oh please no.

I pulled out the crib from the wall and removed the mobile. Desperately I ran around the house trying to find the crazy star screwdriver to remove the battery panel. I couldn't find it. I called Dan in Miami, no answer. I got online and tried to research where I can a replacement (as if it could possibly arrive before naptime was over). It was no longer in production. Hudson was getting increasingly angry in his crib. I found the right tool. Next, I needed batteries. I had A, AA, and Ds but no Cs. Of course. I remembered his lamb took C batteries so rushed to it. I grabbed crying Hudson and held him with one arm as I skillfully tried to remove the batteries from his lamb bouncer. He calmed and I put him back down in his crib. I flew to the kitchen with mobile and batteries in hand. I replaced the 2 batteries and nothing. Still the music played, but the shapes wouldn't budge. Hudson again started crying in his room. I frantically picked up the phone to call my brother, and suddenly, I found it. The secret battery compartment. It was one of those aha moments that felt as if the world shone a bright light upon me. I replaced the battery and ta-da! The shapes were again moving.

I was so proud, so relieved. Victorious, I marched into Hudson's room proclaiming to my sweet boy "Mama has saved the day!" I don't know what I expected really, a big smile, maybe some sweet coos and his face lighting up as I reinstalled the mobile on his crib. Not quite. I looked down to see my sweet baby Hudson fast asleep. So much for being Super Woman.

The phone rang and it was Dan. I told him what had happened, about the mobile crisis, the stress, the cries. "Is that all?" he said. "Where were you when I called?" I asked back. "In the ocean." "Umm, Dan, I think it's best we not talk now." (Sometimes a girl just knows when she's about to blow!) :)

I fell onto the rocker and took a deep breath. Wow, my life certainly has changed. This mobile had caused me more distress than any final, any bar exam, any brief, deposition, or critical contract.

All in a day's work of a mom and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comments

  1. You're so cute! Hudson has the best mom!! It's funny the little things we do to keep our kids happy!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts