What a difference a year makes

*This post was started on Monday, but as life would have it, didn't get posted until several days later. :)

June 14, 2009- I woke up with a nervous feeling in my stomach, and just didn't feel quite right. Dan was interviewing with C3 so I checked it off as anxiousness on his behalf. But, as I tried to get ready for work, I just couldn't shake it. I called in sick and thought I would use the day to rest and feel better. As the day wore on the nausea became worse and worse. To make a long story short, 3 brands and 5 tests later I finally started to believe it. We were having a baby!

I was so excited to tell Dan, but he was in interviews all day. I planned a special dinner for him. I was going to surprise him during a dessert of strawberry shortcake with some cute little baby booties. Dinner took hours to prepare. The smells kept making me sick so I'd have to start and restart. Dan finally called to tell me he was on his way home. I asked how his interview went and had some small talk, then suddenly I blurted it out. "We're having a baby." I don't think I've ever experienced Dan being speechless. He was silent. "Are you there?" I asked. "I'll be there in a minute" he said and hung up the phone. Dan burst into the house and grabbed me in a huge hug. We had been praying and hoping for this moment. So much for my sweet surprise! So much for the big reveal I had planned. But, it couldn't be any other way. Dan and I are terrible at secrets and this was one I couldn't be expected to keep for a single moment. I don't think either of us even tasted my special dinner!

It's so hard to believe a year has passed. Dan landed the job he was interviewing for and more importantly our sweet Hudson is here and it's impossible to remember life before him. He has brought us so much joy and we are so blessed to have our healthy, strong son. I thank God every day for all He has given me. I can't wait to see what another year brings.

Dan's reaction still makes me smile :)

Comments

Popular Posts