Hamming it Up


Today was Hudson's 9 month doctor visit. Hud doesn't mind going to the doctor. In fact, I think he loves it. Cute young nurses and lots of people doting on him? It's totally his thing. As the nurse was measuring his head, she commented, "Whoa!" To which this nervous mama said, "Is that bad, is his head really big?" She looked at me and laughed. "Yes, but he's really big." Duh. Guess I should have thought of that one.

It was a great visit. A big healthy boy, 2 shots and no tears. (90th percentile for head, height and weight) Yes, BIG boy! He smiled and laughed at everyone in the office and enjoyed hearing all of the "cute" accolades. As if this wasn't enough attention, Dan invited us to go to lunch with him. Hudson and I went to his office at C3 to get him. Of course this meant Dan needed to show him off. I swear the child's face should hurt from all of the squinty smiles and laughs. With each new person we would meet, he would flash his dimple and give them his best scrunched smile complete with his new favorite sound effect, "ahhhhh" (as he's breathing in). The first person commented on what a personality he has, and I said, "Yep, a ham, just like his daddy." As we went along, more and more people talked about what a show off he was. "Yep, total ham, just like daddy." Dan shot me a look and in a hushed tone said, "Please don't say that." Not sure what was wrong, I quieted myself.

I didn't think any more of it until we were seated at lunch and Dan looked at me. "Please don't comment about my weight like that." "What?" I asked. "That ham comment wasn't very nice."

My laugh filled the restaurant. Poor Dan thought I was comparing him and Hud to a pig! Oh, Danny. You never stop making me laugh!

When I got home, I googled the term (just to be sure I wasn't just using an old school Smith phrase no one else knew about) and sent it off to Dan. And sorry Dan, this one was just too cute not to share!

Off to go enjoy one of my favorite hams! ;)

Comments

  1. The words comes the word "hamfatter". Not exactly a flattering word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are so funny! I laughed so hard! I want to meet your little ham someday! He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha!! And that sucking in "ahhh" sound was Preston's favorite sound at that age too!! I remember once we were in church in Mpls. and he did it (loudly!) the entire service. I tried and tried to quiet him, but the little old ladies loved it!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the funniest sound?! Although it has a tendency to fill a quiet room very quickly! Lizzie- I hope we can get the kiddos (and us) together next time you are in KC. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts