The keys to Hudson

I've gotten pretty cocky. Lately, although we have our moments, I've felt like I've gotten the hang of this. Hudson is a great kid and as hard as it is for me sometimes, I've learned I have to make myself just chill out and have some fun. Hudson picks up on my stress and the best thing I can do is relax and roll with it.

After an amazing weekend in Hutchinson (pictures to follow), and a relaxing morning sleeping in, Hudson and I awoke to realize there was a lot to do. Our fridge was bare. I made a grocery list and called Dan for his needs. Of course, his addition required a Costco trip and so I compiled the list and off to Costco we went.

We flew through Costco in record time and breezed through the self check-out. I got to the car and found I had left the doors unlocked, oops, and quickly unloaded our loot. As I reached into my purse for my keys I came back empty-handed. Having just cleaned out my purse, there wasn't far to look. I saw flashes of Hudson smiling clutching my keys in Costco. Yes, I should know better than to think I have it all figured out.

And so, Hudson and I packed back up and headed into the store. We first stopped at customer service asking if anyone had turned in any keys. The woman responded, "if any keys had been found they would be here."

I first went to the self-checkout and asked the attendant who had previously assisted me. "If any keys had been found, they would be at Customer Service."

Hmm. Strike. So, we set out to aisle-by-aisle search Costco for the keys, nearing naptime and Hudson's eyelids drooping. I tried to make a game of it, trying to keep a positive attitude and smiling all the way. "Where are mama's keys?" I asked Hudson. He would laugh and point randomly, "Right there!" To which I would giggle and say, "No, not there!" and the game would continue.

We came across the butcher setting out meat. "Excuse me, have you found a set of keys?" He responded. "If any keys had been found they would be at Customer Service."

OK. Thinking I should check customer service again, we headed to the front asking again for my keys. Again she replied. "No, but if any keys had been found they would be here."

Oooook. Another strike. We set out again on our search. Each worker we would pass I would ask about my keys, only to be told, "If any keys had been found they would be at customer service."

Again and again I received the same response. Maybe it's just my mom brain, but it started to feel like a children's book with the same repetitive phrase. "If any keys had been found they would be at customer service." We pressed on.

Fourty-five minutes later, defeated and becoming increasingly frustrated, I returned to the self-checkout. This time, another attendant was assisting the woman who helped me. I looked to him. "Has anyone found any keys?"

The woman quickly interrupted. "I already told you. If anyone had found keys they would be at customer service."

Sigh.

The man then looked to her. "No, if anyone found any keys, I think YOU would have taken them to merchandise pick-up."

Her face turned red. "Oh yes, Merchandise Pick-up."

Seriously?! Yep. Seriously. I walked to merchandise pick-up and asked for my keys fearing the response as I was tired of this game. "Has anyone found any keys," I asked tiring of this game.

The worker responded, "IF anyone had found any keys, what would they look like?"

I'd like to say my description of a GMC black key that has a button you push to pop out the key was an adequate enough description to get us on our way. I'd like to say that he was then satisfied when I indicated my gym membership card was attached. I'd like to say he was satisfied when I indicated the name of my gym. Nope, "What is your membership ID for your gym?" He asked.

I don't really know what happened, or what I said. It's all a bit of a blur, and it most definitely wasn't in the same optomistic spirit in which we initially set out on our key search, but somehow, I ended up with my keys and we headed home.

Hudson fell asleep as soon as we got into the car. A mom that had it all figured out would have been easily been able to transport her sleeping child to his bed and enjoy a productive naptime.

Again, I was faced with the harsh reality. No productive naptime here, rather a laughing squealing Hud banging on his crib. Nope, I don't have it all figured out. And any time I think I do, I quickly am shown otherwise.




***On a side note, I realize the canned Costco employee response of "if we had found keys..." was a trained element of avoiding liability of responsibility for lost items. Just another escape implemented my profession. Somehow, that makes it just a little worse.

Comments

Popular Posts