What's in a name?

In Romeo and Juliet, Juliet said, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet." The name isn't important. What matters is what it is.

Sorry, Juliet. But I think Hudson would disagree. It seems over the last month through our adventures Hudson's vocabulary has exploded. (No worries, I will update you on our fabulous Hawaiian getaway, etc in posts to follow). He is talking non-stop and seems to, like many toddlers, find his own words for things. Some seem pretty common sensical and yet others, we have a hard time deciphering.

 For those not aware, my mom has battled a devastating condition called trigeminal neuralgia for 17 years. The condition causes electric shock-like sensations in the face. Attacks can last seconds to minutes, or in extreme conditions, attacks come one after the other in constant succession creating excruciating and endless pain.

 I hesitated writing about this and thought long and hard about how I would post. Mom is an extremely private person and in all this time of her suffering did not wish anyone to feel sorry for her or to burden anyone with her pain. Instead, she faced each day with the optimism and grace I treasure her for.

 After all these years of suffering, she had exhausted all of her options for non-surgical treatment and pain management and made the decision to undergo brain surgery to repair the damaged nerves believed to be causing the pain. And so, almost 6 weeks ago, my mom bravely underwent brain surgery in Dallas.

 I am blessed to have in-laws who happily took Hudson while my sister and I traveled to be with my dad and my mom for her surgery. Surgery went remarkably well and after a short time my sister and I returned home to our families. Mom stayed in the hospital for a time in Dallas, then was released to return to her home in Derby to recover.

 Due to Dan and I's hectic month, I had not been back to visit since those first days following the surgery. Last week, as Dan was away on business, Hudson and I got the opportunity to visit my parents in Derby.

 I was astonished at the change in my mom. Upon first glance, her skin glowed, her eyes were bright and to see her face smile without wincing in pain still brings tears to my eyes. It was indescribable what a wonderful visit we had. Mom was able to play with us and talk with us like never before, and with NO pain. But, try as we might, we could not get Hudson to say "Nee-Nee." (This is what my mom goes by with the grandkids, started years ago by my nephew Chase).

 It was strange. He had said it before, and even had chanted it on our way to Derby. It was among his first words and when Mom stayed with him back in February for weeks that followed he would run around the house screaming "Nee-Nee." But it was gone. Not one peep.

 The night before Hudson and I were to return home, Hudson and I were in the kitchen and I yelled to mom to see where she was. "Mom! Mom?" I looked down at Hudson and it clicked. As if thrilled I finally understood, he looked at me and smiled a big, squinty, dimply smile and took off yelling and smiling, "Mom-Mom! Mom-Mom" and into the arms of my very happy mom.

 The entire time we had been in Derby, Hudson had affectionately been saying "Mom-Mom." Sure, pretty logical if you ask me. I call her mom, his "Mim" (Aunt Kim) calls her mom, but I think it's more than that. I think even Hudson recognized the magnificent change in Mom and decided to recognize it in his very own special way.

 And contrary to what Juliet says, I think this name is very important and suits her perfectly.

 Any way you say it, I'm so happy to have my Mom back and feel blessed to get to share the extra special title of "mom" with her. We love you "Mom-Mom!" Happy 6 week anniversary from surgery! Here's some pics of our fabulous Derby adventure!

I know, you want more. Here you go.

Comments

Popular Posts