Happy New Year?

I've never been much for the hype of New Year's Eve.  Growing up, I remember NYE as a night where Grandma and Papa would come over with lil smokies and rotel dip.  We'd eat snacks and laugh and play games and Papa would shoot off his gun at midnight.  (We lived in the country, don't judge!)  Sure, there were my younger years where I'd go to some party with my sparkles on and have a less than memorable evening.  

This year, I really looked forward to NYE.  We were invited to a fabulous party downtown.  It will be an extravagant affair with sparkles, champagne, dancing...all of the makings of a real, grown-up night out.  Yes.  This year was going to be different.  

Then life happened.  Curve balls were thrown.  Then came shingles.  Next, the flu.  Now, pneumonia?  Yes.  Really.  And so, we will be ushering 2015 from the comfort and disappointment of our own bed.  That is, IF I make it to midnight.  

Today reminds me a great deal of Dan and I's first New Year's Eve shortly after we got back together in 2003.  Dan and his brother had made a whirlwind trip to Chicago to move out of his apartment.  After 20 hours in the car in just over a day, Dan was wiped out.  I had big plans for that night, too.  It was my first NYE to be spent with my love and it would be incredibly memorable.  We'd go out on the town.  I had new sparkly heels and a fabulous new dress.  Oh yes, it'd be epic.  But, as my weary Dan walked in the door that evening, it became clear those plans would have to wait.  

As we told each other "Happy New Year" at 9:00 and called it a night, I couldn't have been happier.  I was with the love of my life, the only person that mattered to me.  And besides, it didn't matter.  I knew we'd have plenty of years to celebrate together.  

So tonight, as I ring in 2015 in my yoga pants, I'll be just as happy knowing I have the 3 very most important people in my life by my side.

To 2015! 

May it be a year of much better health! 


Comments

Popular Posts