The N List

Well, Oprah has her "O List," so I thought it was time to create my own "must-have" list for moms. Nope, no lavish pricey items here, just the basics, those for survival and sanity. Those non-moms may choose to ignore this one. But, if you're looking for some gift ideas, read on.

1. Sleep Sheep by Cloud B: This is my ultimate favorite. Perhaps it isn't for everyone, but we personally LOVE it! We were given this as a gift from Hudson's Nana and G-dad and it has been wonderful. He can sleep ANYWHERE with it.

2. Child of Mine Long sleeve Onesies from Walmart? Yes! I said Wal-Mart. I must admit, I am a bit of a Target snob. I love Target and it has long since been my belief that Target products are superior. After a summer of not wearing onesies, I have again started Hudson wearing them. The long sleeve ones are wonderful only problem is finding them large enough for the Hud. I finally found some of the usual ones I had purchased since he was a newborn made by Gerber. They have the trademark on the onesie, so I had assumed they were the best. Later, I found some more at Babies R Us as Gerber was the only brand they carried as well. I purchased 2 packages of 2 onesies for Hudson for $9.99 in size 18 months (the biggest size available). Once in the dryer and they were too small, not to mention the thin rough nature of the cheap cotton. (And really, who has time for gentle washing and drying baby things on low?) This week, while at Wal-mart, I peeked to see what they had available and found the "Child of Mine" Onesies made by Carters and found sizes 18 and 24 months. Perfect. Much thicker, much softer and washed wonderfully. And, even better, $6 for a package of 3. Sold. Yes, my mom was right. Carters is superior. And Wal-mart, I am impressed. Gerber may have great products for nutrition, but stick to Carters for apparel. You can't go wrong. Now I'm just sick it took me this long to figure this out.

3. Baby Einstein Jumperoo- Quite possibly the best item invented. Even at 9.5 months he can still play endlessly in his Jumperoo. It is equipped with hooks for switching out toys, a mirror, flowers to chew on and a piano. It pained me yesterday to move it to the top notch for height. (I believe weight here is a large factor as the springs are a little stressed by the eh, massive nature of the Hud.) I am reminded of my dad padding the seat with diapers and putting a pillow beneath him so he could touch the ground when he first bought it for Hud. I was unfortunately disappointed in the doorway Johnny Jump ups. Not made for the bigger babies. At about 6 months we could not cinch it up high enough nor find a doorway high enough to compensate for his weight. And yes, this was an entertaining site as I would cinch, and cinch the seat. It would be eye level for me and I would place Hudson in it. Boom, down to the floor! (We turned it into a valuable physics lesson on the tension of springs and applied load that I believe he enjoyed.)

4. Flip camera- Before Hudson was born we looked into getting an expensive video camera to capture all of of Hudson's firsts. But, after looking at all of the options, for what I/we wanted, the Flip fit the bill. I'm sure when we get to school programs, sporting events and sumo meets (do they call sumo wrestling events meets?) we will opt for a bigger, better camera. But, for now, the Flip is wonderful. It's small, and I carry it everywhere. With just a few clicks I can upload videos to YouTube for everyone to see (whether they want to or not!)

5. Hyland's Teething Tablets- Yes, I know they have been recalled. I miss you, teething tabs! Unfortunately, I had only discovered them a few weeks before they were pulled, but they are/were fabulous. Easy to take, immediate relief, overall great product. And yes, I have done research as to why they were recalled and still do not believe them to be a dangerous product, just need to adhere to regulatory standards. So hurry up, Hyland's. Our second set of teethies are coming and we may need you!

OK, that's a list of what we are using now, but this list wouldn't be complete without giving a short shout-out to those items that got us to where we are today.

  • Happiest Baby on the Block (book and DVD) - BEST. TIPS. EVER.
  • Swaddle Blankets - I know, laugh if you will, but I thank swaddles for the wonderful sleeper Hudson still is.
  • Graco Sweet Peace Swing - I was so upset to pack this away, but again, Hud reached the weight capacity.
  • Boppy - the ultimate pillow for propping baby up, feeding, sitting, nursing, you name it.
There ya have it. Enjoy.

Comments

  1. I still use the teething tablets...I stocked up just in time! Such a bummer! Love the list, it's so true about the little things that you never thought were that important and they really are so useful! Love it! You're such a great mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably fund your kiddos education by selling those right now! I keep stalking their website to see when they will return. Looks like "early 2011." Here's hoping that means Jan. 1! :) Miss ya, Lizzie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts