A Beautiful Life

On July 27th, I celebrated an anniversary. Perhaps, "celebrated" isn't the best way to describe it. By all rights, I shouldn't be able to celebrate anything after what happened, but by the grace of God, I live to commemorate the day each year.

On July 27, 1995 my 15 year old self drove home from StuCo camp in her brand new (to her) red Mustang convertible. Moments later, a deer darted in front of my car and I lost control. I don't remember anything else for the next week that followed. My car tumbled end over end and side over side. My face crashed into the steering wheel and the car crumpled around me. The right side of my body was hardest hit. My arm was broken and my foot and ankle crushed. Screws were placed in my ankle in hopes that it would heal and plastic surgery put my mangled face back together.

I can't imagine what my parents went through. First getting the call of the accident, then waiting during surgery hoping for a positive outcome and then the grueling recovery in the 6 months it took for me to recover and walk away from my wheelchair.

But, I was beyond lucky. I did walk away from that chair. Sure I have scars, an ankle that never will be able to do all I push it to do and a funny shoulder that now pops in and out (my cool party trick), but nothing compared to what how the story could have ended.

We all have obstacles we battle in life, moments that define us. This, was one of mine. And so, each year as July 27th approaches and passes, I acknowledge it quietly and celebrate to myself the life that I have lived and the second chance I was granted.

And what a beautiful life is has turned out to be!


Comments

Popular Posts