WE ARE KANSAS...





I like watching and observing people and behaviors.  The human mind, spirit, and personality intrigue me.  It's amazing to me how each person can be so different and yet, at times act predictably and right on cue.  Perhaps that's why I enjoy being a fan so much, perhaps it's because I'm a softie. I love getting caught up in the story lines.  True, I'm a diehard Jayhawk fan, but I can and do respect other fans for their loyalty to their own fans and understand how such deep-rooted passion can cause them to act irrationally, irrationally, and foolishly.  I think you all know who I am married to.  

This  year has been an especially wild ride as a Jayhawk.  Yes, we are a blessed breed of fans, spoiled by wins, titles and banners.  Success is the norm.  Losses arent expected.  But ths year, starting out the year, our expectations were a bit more tempered. 

After losing the majority of our talented seasoned roster, we prepared ourselves for a rebuilding year, of young players learning the ropes, of TRob and Tyshawn taking the team under their wing and hoping they would buy into Self's teachings and continue our tournament qualifying streak.  In a previous post, I gave Dan a hard time, but the entire Jayhawk nation shard his tempered expectations, trying to prepare ourselves for inevitable fall out.  

But this year, this team has surprised us, shocked us, awed us, frustrated us, amazed us, provided us with nail biting, contraction inducing, chest pain causing close games where we had been count out as the victor and yet emerged somehow at the buzzer with the higher score.  It's been an amazingly fun ride, and along the way we've all started believing in so much more than statistics, than odds, than who should win on paper.  

I know, it's hard to see Kansas, such a storied and elite program as the underdog, but this year, we have gotten a glimpse of it.  The belief, the optimism is contagious and captivating.  One of the best quotes I've heard regarding my hawks is that "the Jayhawks aren't very good ths year.  I don't think anyone told the team." 

I love it.  Maybe it's because I'm a softie.  Maybe I just love a good underdog story.  Maybe i just love a story with a good lesson.  Maybe I just love my hawks.  Any way you slice it, I love this season.  I've loved this ride and more than anything I've loved believing in that extra something that no one can define that makes them emerge victorious again and again.  

I don't know how tonight will turn out.  I'd be lying if I said it didn't matter.  I think it's pretty clear I already have "One Shining Moment" playing in my head ending with TRob shaking his Kansas jersey and proclaiming us the champs, but even if not, I will relish in the journey, the fun we've had along the way and the amazing feeling of sharing this love and this passion with my very best friend.

We are Kansas.

We believe.

Rock Chalk! 





Comments

Popular Posts