The baby addict

December was a blur. It seemed we were constantly going, busy. It all happened so fast. With two little ones time is a luxury I don't seem to have much of and unfortunately my blog took the biggest hit.

Monday marked our sweet Charli girl's 5 month birthday. So hard to believe. Last year, at Christmas, I had just shared our pregnancy news with our families. And now, here she is.

I love babies. I love the baby stage. I love newborns. While sleep deprivation certainly took on a new feel this time around (with number 2 there is no such thing as "sleep when the baby does) I truly relish in everything that is my babies. I love their soft skin, their little cries, their whimpers and their grunts. I love their stretches and yawns, the way their eyes dart back and forth struggling to focus. I love the way they don't quite stretch out yet. I love the way they curl up in a ball on your chest. I love how they can sleep anywhere. I love their wrinkly skin that hasn't filled out quite yet. I love how they grasp onto one finger with their whole hand. I love their smells. Who doesn't love the smell of a clean baby right? I even love the not so clean smells of wet Pampers and buttered popcorn poop. Yep. I'm crazy in love with babies.

Five months hit me kind of hard. I remembered 5 months for Hud. 2 days later he was sitting up. He was no longer being swaddled and started rolling over more.

I held onto the hope that she wasn't quite where Hud was. Then, last night happened. Last night was crazy for a lot of reasons (which I will visit more later) but last night my sweet Charli would not stay swaddled. I'd wrap her up tightly, kiss her goodnight and tip-toe from the room only to head her on the monitor moments later awake babbling. I'd go back to find her arms out mockingly smiling at me that same way Hudson once did.

That did it. Today I looked at my baby girl differently, with the realization that again the days are passing too quickly; dare I say even more so than with Hudson. She's changed so much, learning so much. I just want it to pause and give me a chance to relish in all the little joys of tiny babies (who am I kidding-my babies aren't exactly "tiny).

But as I begrudgingly surrendered to even attempting a swaddle for her nap, I pulled her close to me and gave her a big kiss. As I moved her away she reached out her chubby little fingers and grabbed my face pulling it close giving me the sweetest, wettest, open-mouthed kiss.

I had forgotten. Hudson also started giving kisses at 5 months. I remember that same feeling as my heart skipped a beat the first time Hudson "kissed" me on our trip to Colorado after his Mom-Mom showed him.

Ok, Charli, I guess you can be 5 months old, but not 6. Deal?


And what's up with this crazy 5 month sticker? I'll give you one guess who destroyed the real one. I improvised. That's pretty much the theme of our house lately.






Comments

Popular Posts