Just talk with me

Barks is away on business and so I've found myself lost in survivor mode today.  There's a different on-edge-ness that comes with 24/7 solo duty.  I'm wiped out, exhausted, spent, done, you name a tired word, that's me tonight.  And so, after a long bath and story time I tucked the littles into their beds.  

But, as nights like these tend to go, it wasn't that simple.  Soon my son was in my face asking questions, making requests and then excuses as to why he couldn't sleep.  I was done.  But then, those powerful blue eyes peered up at me and a soft little hand grabbed mine. "Just lay and talk with me for a minute." Heart melted.  

Sure, any parent would be moved by this, but as a "speech mom" of a boy who a year ago was only saying choppy, fragmented sentences, this was music to my ears.  

And so, we talked, and talked.  And then, we talked some more.  He talked to me about "growing bigger even though I didn't want him to" and how he was a "super cute baby."  

"But I still think you're super cute.  Do all the girls at school think that?" I joked.
"No, mom.  they think I'm super awesome!" 

We talked about his day, his friends, who made he laugh today.  We talked about what his favorite things are about the people he loves.  We giggled and we joked together.  But then, as I had seen on his daily school recap he had been talking today about feelings and in their journals they were asked to draw what makes them happy.  

And so, I inquired.  "What makes you happy, Hudson?  What was is you drew today?" 

"I drew you, Mommy.  You make me so happy." 

Whatever wasn't melted of my heart already, fell in a powerful gush.  

I am so very proud of the strides he has made, grateful for those who have helped us discover my son's voice and so very thankful for God giving me my happy: my precious babies.  

Cheers! 






Comments

Popular Posts