a very big deal

In some ways it feels like yesterday and in others, it's like a lifetime, quite literally: our Charli's lifetime. The last time my Barks and I ran away together was when we went to NYC to watch our beloved Jayhawks play Kentucky in Madison Square Garden.  Just a month before we had celebrated our 5th anniversary in tropical paradise of Kauai.  Yes, we had enough adventure to last us a while.  But now, 3 years later, another getaway is overdue. And so, here I sit next to a very sleepy birthday boy on the early flight headed to Vegas.  

The kids are splitting time between the grandparents and for that, I am so very grateful.  They are having the time of their lives in spoiled heaven and while I do miss those little monkeys, I feel the same way.  Five blissful days of quality time with my sweetheart await us.  Honestly, I wouldn't care where it was; but Vegas seems to be a pretty great place to properly celebrate 35 years of the awesomeness that is my hubs.  

Happy birthday to the guy who makes me happy just to be me, who loves me for my faults and in spite of them.  Happy birthday to a guy with a heart of gold, who has never met a stranger, who can bring a smile and a chuckle to the grumpiest of people.  Happy 35 years to my best friend, my adventure partner, my protector, my personal DJ, the love of my life and my very best friend.

Thirty-five?! No way.  I still feel like that giddy, lovestruck 17 year-old that giggled at every little thing he said.  (Just now with the occasional eye roll and witty response.) But you, my Barks, you have just gotten better; more handsome (thanks Nerium ;), more charismatic, more charming and a whole lot more successful than I ever dreamed possible.  I am in awe of you, the husband, father and the very big deal that you truly are.  

Cheers to you and the adventures that await in the year to come! I love you .2.<- (and back.) 

Love, 
Your MUCH younger wife 




Comments

Popular Posts