Where everybody knew her name: lessons from my grandma

I love that Barks and I listen to books together. 

This one has a special place in my heart. ❤️My grandma gave me her copy when I was just in high school when facing some “mean girls” and critical teenagers. I rolled my eyes thinking it made no sense. “How to Win Friends and Influence People?” Ugh. What was she thinking? I had no control over how they treated me. 🙄 

For those who knew my Grandma Margarette you probably are smiling just thinking of her. 😄 (she had that effect on people!) Her striking outer beauty; bright blonde hair and bright lipstick outlined a smile that lit up her face and made her light blue green eyes sparkle. It was no wonder she didn’t know a stranger. A trip anywhere with her was stretched by the relationships built a long the way. 

One day, i ran into her at a local nail salon.  A new driver it felt so nice to have gained the independence to do these things on my own . She introduced me to all of the technicians noting some tidbit about them or their kiddos and even some of the patrons. Each expressed such excitement to meet me and glowingly said how lucky I was to have such an incredible lady in my life. Strangely as many visits as I’ve made to get my nails done this remains my favorite.  💕 as she finished up, she treated me to my service and the owner gave her a special “Margarette” discount. 

After, I stopped by her house to thank her. “What a great place! I had no idea it was even there! Is this where you’ve always gone?” 

“Oh no honey, they just opened 2 weeks ago.” 



That was her. Instantly loved because she first loved on them.  

While the first time I read this this book I was a teenager,  i have since read or listened to this book several times and I love that it continues to find me in different places in life, in business, in friendships and teach me something new. Simple concepts of sharing a smile, listening to them and selfless genuine love for others were the benchmarks of her personality. 

A beautiful reminder of the power we have over how others feel and how our kindness, positivity and love often bounces back.  

The older I get the more I understand, “it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.” 




Thanks, Grandma. I hate that you’re not here, but know you and your impact is with me always.   

Comments

Popular Posts