98 is a very BIG number . . .

So as if the words "big head, big baby" weren't already reverberating through my pitifully empty baby brain, now I can add another startling number... 98. Yes, my sweet baby Hudson's noggin is measuring in the 98th percentile for size. At my 38 week growth scan, he is measuring at 40.5 weeks in his head. Yep, this is totally what a new mommy wants to hear.

"Well, that explains the back pain," my doctor said matter of factly. Basically my poor pelvis has had to shift and expand to accommodate this extremely large head. No, that isn't painful at all! (yes, that is blatant sarcasm!)

The good news is that Hudson is doing wonderfully. All of the things we were concerned with my high AFP levels and pregnancy induced hypertension (PIH) have been avoided. He is growing wonderfully (perhaps too well weighing in at an estimated 7 pounds 12 ounces already) and measuring about a week ahead overall. (although his femur and head has him around 40+ weeks) My blood pressure was down today, and only traces of protein in my urine, and while pretty swollen, doctor did not believe the balance had tipped enough to send me over for an induction today. As she said, with no progress/dilation it's likely a recipe for a c-section at this point and as Hudson appears to be doing well, we would try to buy more time until a more favorable delivery is possible. (which his large head may not make possible anyway!)

Hudson wasn't the most cooperative today during his ultrasound. He looked like he was covering his face from the paparazzi, so the sonographer couldn't get a great profile view. He did flash us a peace sign, in true star quality, and it does look like Hudson has some hair. No idea of the color or texture, so could just be faint peach fuzz, but Dan seemed thrilled he had hair. Which for those of you who have heard about my dreams where Hudson looks identical to Dan, hair product and all, they may now not be too far from the truth!

So now we wait. Just as we've prayed for, Hudson is a healthy, strong boy! Who would have thought we would make it to 38 weeks?! What a blessing he is! And while Dan may not agree, I personally think he's baked long enough now. I think I've been a pretty good sport, right?

Comments

  1. I had Jack at 38 weeks, but the other 2 waited until 40 weeks...the longest 2 weeks ever! I say you're done! Plus, all of mine had huge heads and I was so scared about delivering them! We all did fine, big heads and all!! I've been thinking about you a lot!! Lots of hugs and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts