10 days






10 days old. So hard to believe he's been here for 10 days now. It's been a whirlwind of week and half, but couldn't be happier. Labor and delivery are pretty much a blur now. What was supposed to be a several day process to get me to progress and deliver, turned out to be a rather quick turn-around. As I mentioned, I had been given Ambien to rest that evening, so I was in a bit of a fog (that's with a f, not a ph, Dan). There were 2 events I remember rather distinctively, my water breaking- this was wake-up call #1 and then opening my eyes to see the anaesthesiologist. I couldn't grasp it was really happening, and had no idea I was in active labor. I thought I was just being a wuss with the cramping they had told me to expect from the Cervidil! I begged him not to give me an epidural yet (not exactly what he was used to hearing) but then my nurse assured me that I was 1) in active labor and 2) the epidural would help lower my blood pressure. With that, you didn't have to ask me twice and I happily floated away to pain relief with my magic button.

The hours flew by and suddenly it was time to push, but my doctor was away for one of her little one's Valentine's Day parties, so I opted to wait for her to return. I rested for a while and then at a little after noon my doctor returned. For the next hour and 50 minutes (but who's counting right?) I pushed and was proud to amidst tears and joy welcome our baby boy at 2:02 PM with both his Nee-Nee, and Nana present along with Aunt Kim and of course proud Daddy. Seeing Hudson's face for the first time was truly a moment I will never forget. For 9 long months I've imagined that instant and it was everything I hoped it would be and more. His cries were music to my ears and assurance that all would be okay.

Our stay in the hospital was rather uneventful. (and Barky gave me the most beautiful diamond earrings as a "push present" - he's pretty amazing). Despite having a fever at birth, all of Hudson's labs came back OK and on Sunday, Valentine's Day, we were released from the hospital. Hudson's billirubin levels had been elevated, but his pediatrician did not think they were of concern and wanted us to follow up with labs the following morning.
Dan and I couldn't quite believe they were letting us take him home. The nurse helped pack up the car and send us on our way. As the doors slammed we looked at each other. It was all finally so real!

The drive home was an obstacle course of accidents and emergency vehicles. There was near white out conditions on the highway and accidents everywhere. (a 50 car pileup on I-70!) and countless wrecks on I-35. As Dan said, "Nothing like trying to safely drive your first born home in that!"

We came home to a clean house (thanks to the Barkers) and a blue and white decorated yard (thanks to my fabulous sisters). It had to be the best Valentine's Day ever, spent cuddling with my boys by the fire and enjoying our first night as a family.

The night was long as Dan and I were trying to learn our way. The next day we went for labs and grabbed some lunch on our way home. Just as we arrived home the phone rang and it was our pediatrician. Hudson's levels had risen and it was imperative we get to the hospital immediately. It was not customary for Shawnee Mission Med to readmit babies after they had been released, but she was going to see what she could do and call back. She called back to tell us they would accept him. I started to ask questions and she said "You don't understand, you need to leave now, there is no time for this." This of course scared me to death. We flew out of the house and to the hospital. I, of course, was a mess, and although I realize that jaundice typically is fairly common, the whole scenario of being released from the hospital and readmitted (not to mention the urgency of the pediatrician) had me petrified. Just hours ago I was home with my happy family and now I was back at the hospital watching as my son was stripped of his clothing and put under lights.
Our NICU nurse was amazing. She arranged for us to be "boarders" and have a room at the hospital so we could be close to Hudson. They wanted him to get as much "treatment time" as possible so we were only able to hold him for a short time every 3 hours when it was time for him to eat. Luckily, our stay in the NICU was short. In about 24 hours his levels had drastically reduced and we were again released home. We were so blessed to have such a short stay. Hudson was surrounded by babies that had overcome insurmountable odds and whose parents had been by their side for weeks. I continue to keep them in my prayers and hope that soon those babies too will get to go home where they belong.
So that's the story, we've been home since and enjoying every moment that we have had as a family. The night's have been a bit rough. Hudson seems to think it's party time from about 1-5! But, I'm slowly learning that we have to just do what works for us, even if it means not playing by the "rules." He's a big fan of our sleep number bed and a fuzzy blanket Aunt Kim got him that we fondly call "Cookie Monster." The giraffe swing is another big hit and thanks for the tip from Granddad Barker, it plugs in so no need to switch out batteries!
Now that you have the birth story, I will attempt to update as much as possible with pics and videos of our sweet little man.
I'm off to nap while I can. This whole "sleep while the baby sleeps" is harder than it sounds. But, I'm giving it a try...

Comments

Popular Posts