Songs and balls



Yesterday Hudson and I got out of the house and ran some errands. I was looking for some new running shoes so we headed to the shoe store and then popped by Old Navy to see if there was anything the Hud couldn't live without. We strolled along talking as we always do. "Hudson, where is your nose? Here it is! Hudson, where are your eyes? There's your eyes! Hudson, where is your hair?" Just then, I heard a female voice interject, "very good!" as Hudson proudly put his hands on top of his head. (She appeared at just the right time as his hair and nose are the ones he usually gets!) She then looked to me and commented on how adorable and smart my little Hudson was, stuff moms eat up.

We chatted briefly. She told me about her new grandbaby and I gave some advice on outfits for Easter. Hudson picked out a hat, waved bye-bye and we were on our way.

Having a few more errands to run we made a couple of more stops and ended at Target. We were approaching nap time and so I let Hudson bring his favorite balls (a blue one and a small orange basketball) into the store. He sat in the cart proudly clapping together the balls as I shopped. Then, when he started throwing them and playing "mama fetch" I decided it was time to call it a day. I raced to the checkout. As I reached the line, I looked down to see Hudson empty handed. Defeated, I said in a funny voice, "Hudson, where are your balls? Where are your balls, Hudson?" I repeated in song with escalating volume. (Somehow everything around here evolves into a song.) As I looked around singing and smiling I saw our friend from Old Navy standing right behind me in line, her face puzzled.

My song quickly stopped and with a hot, red face I quickly scurried to find his orange and blue ball and over exaggerate what I was referring to, stammering about balls all the while.

Yet more lessons learned.

Lesson #443: Be careful when referring to your son's balls in public.
Lesson #444: Be careful what you put into song.


And, because a Hud story (or a funny mama story) isn't complete without a picture, here's a few of the Hud playing with his favorite balls in the yard. He always carries the blue one in his left hand and the orange one in his right. Funny Hud.





Comments

Popular Posts