Just Me

Any mom of a little one can relate to the connection you feel to your baby, but perhaps none will understand this entry as much as my fellow stay-at-homers. No, this isn't a criticism, just a comparison that few can quite understand.

This past week I was surprised with a much needed getaway with my husband. While it wasn't a lavish beach vacation to be spent lounging and sipping pretty drinks, it was a getaway nonetheless and I was thrilled to be invited. Dan was traveling to Louisville, Kentucky on business and I was to join him. He had made all of my travel arrangements and even worked out Hudson-care with my Mom on the sly. (Yes, I'll again reiterate how sweet and thoughtful my dear husband is).

I've been truly away from my Hudson only once before, back in October. Since that time, we've only been apart for an hour or two at a time. And so, leaving him was difficult.

Despite what some may think, Dan works very hard and is extremely good at his job. I'm amazed at how he can score meetings with top executives and win them over with his charm. (Yes, I know it worked with me, but business should be totally different, right?) While I did get accompany him on his trip, he still was busy with important meetings that left me on my own a
lot more than I have been used to.

At first, I Was pretty awkward at being alone. I'm so used to responding for 2. I can't even count the funny looks I got from saying "excuse us" or "we're fine." maybe they thought I had an imaginary friend?!

But, after a while, I started to enjoy the time. Sure, I missed my sweet Hudson immensely, but it was kind of nice to do some things I hadn't in a long time. I took long showers, I read books and magazines and even leisurely played on my iPad with no little fingers popping up everywhere. I went down to the hotel restaurant and enjoyed juice and a muffin all by myself and... Read the paper!

I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything, but it took me stepping away to realize how much I have become stuck in my roles, "Hudson's mom" and "Dan's wife" that I forget how much fun it can be just me.

Thank you, Dan, for arranging this much needed time away and thank you, Mom, for coming and making sure I didn't worry about my Hudson while I was away. He keeps walking into the kitchen shouting "Nee-Nee" as though I've been hiding you! (or maybe he's hoping you're in there baking him some more cookies!)

Comments

Popular Posts