Two

I know.  It's crazy.  Call it a perfect storm, call it I having a lot to say or call it just your lucky day. Two posts in one day should be celebrated!  

Today Charli and I decided to try out a new music class together.  We have been going to a class each week, but after finding out Hudson would be exposed to another curriculum in his preschool class, I decided I wanted to check it out.  I like knowing what he is learning and he adores singing so much I wanted to have an idea of songs, lyrics and activities.  

We arrived punctually (a minor miracle these days) and joined the other moms with their tots in the classroom.  The class was lively and fun and Charli seemed to enjoy herself and became quite comfortable rather quickly, popping up to dance with her new friends and even backing into another mom's lap.  I hummed the tunes and played along with her but felt a bit awkward as everyone else knew the words, signs and accompanying actions.  

Then, our cheerful instructor pulled out a pair of puppets and began to sing.  As the words came out, I recognized their familiarity and was pleased I finally knew a song!  

"Little Bunny Foo Foo hopping through the forest, scooping up the field mice and bopping them on the head..." 

I happily sang along, but just as the "good fairy" was about to appear I realized, this wasn't the song I remembered.  

Suddenly, an empowered field mouse responded, "Stop! That hurt me!"  His parents came along and advised Foo Foo to take a time out and reflect on what he had done and a discussion on good decision making, gentle touching and nice hands, and the mouse finally got a hug at the end.  Wow.  That simple song had morphed into quite a teaching moment.

I would have liked to have captured my face as I looked around the room, pretty certain this was a prank but was greeted with serious animated faces of moms echoing our instructor's intensity.  Nope, totally not a joke.  

While I completely understand and respect the need to change the message of the song, I can't help at giggle at the changes.  

Check it out.  I'm not lying here.  This field mouse doesn't take any nonsense.  He's been liberated and Bunny Foo Foo is paying the price.  I always did think Foo Foo was a jerk.  

Justice has been served. 



And yes, this made me feel old. 



Comments

Popular Posts