Firetruck shoes

Yesterday was a wonderful day. Our families came and together we celebrated Charleston's baptism.

Hudson gets very excited when I get dressed up. He smiles sweetly at me and admires all my "pretties." He talks about my jewelry and touches my hair. It's sweet how he looks at me, differently but yet not superficially. It's a genuine recognition of difference.

Yesterday he was especially captivated by my shoes. I had a cute pair of red heels. Nothing extravagant, just shoes, but to him they were so exciting, such a departure from my usual flats or flip-flops.

This morning the kids and I got up early because of the time change. I got everyone ready and we set out to get daddy breakfast and let him sleep in. As I scrambled to get out the door quickly and quietly, I instructed Hudson to put on his shoes.

"Ready, mommy!" Hudson proclaimed, clomping toward me in my red heels. "Yay! Mommy's firetruck shoes!"

He was so proud. See, a funny thing about Hudson is that when a word is hard for him to say, he finds a way around saying it. Colors are particularly hard for him to say. So, instead of saying, "that's green" he will say, "that's the color of a dinosaur" or in the case of the shoes, they became "firetruck shoes."

I know, logically it seems a lot more difficult this way, but that's how he works. Pretty amazing really, and smart.

We had some giggles over Hudson in my shoes. We took some pictures (duh!) and went on our way.

And so, today I am thankful for my firetruck shoes, for our giggles and for what those shoes represent.

My son doesn't know the "old" me. He doesn't know the woman who put on heels and suits and went to work. He doesn't know the clotheshorse or shoehorse me that spent her money on pretties and adored shopping.

The woman he knows, his mommy, wears flat, more sensible shoes prepped for chasing him. His mommy still loves pretties and shopping, but would much rather spend money dressing and spoiling her babies.

A day will come when I will put back on those suits and heels and head back to work. And a day will come when I won't feel frivolous spending money shopping for myself. But even when those days come I won't be that same girl.

And for that, I am thankful.

Comments

Popular Posts