The way you look tonight

Charli,

It's the middle of the night. Wait, no, I guess it's early in the morning. It doesn't really matter. It all means the same thing.

You should be sleeping. I should be sleeping and yet here we sit. I've tried every trick in my arsenal since 2 and yet, nothing seems to work. I'm sleepy and this sore throat seems to get more raw by the hour. But you don't want to sleep tonight. No, you don't want to cry either. You just want to look, at me, at the fan. You want to stretch your arms and your legs. You want to smile and you want to "talk."
I wish we could sleep. I want to be angry but then you give me that look.

There's just something about that look. You look at me with such adoration, with such love. It's the purest most innocent face. It's the most genuine sense of purpose when I see that look. It assures me there's no where else in the world I should be than right here, right with you.

I know I'll miss these moments. I know I'll try to remember that exact face as it is now. Throughout the monumental events of your life I'll look at you and see glimmers of that sweet infant looking lovingly at me but it will never be the same as it is in this moment.

It is moments like these. Moments at 4:30 in the morning and you've finally drifted off to sleep where I am awake. Still amazed by you. Still trying to teach myself not to forget. Still trying to savor and memorize these precious times.

Thank you, God, for the way you look tonight.
I love you, my sweet Charli girl.
Goodnight my angel.

Comments

  1. I got her that littlest jayhawk outfit. So cute! stoked to see it on her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts