Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails

I remember the day perfectly. It was September 11. Yes, a date with other significance of course, but it was that date in 2009 that Dan and I found out we were having a son. The moment was pretty perfect in my book. Both sets of grandparents, my sister and even my Papa got to join us for the grand news at a 3d sonogram at Hutch Clinic. "a boy," I kept hearing in my head. "wow.". I was thrilled, excited and trying to invision all of the things we would do together. Dan, of course, was doing the same thing. On our car ride home to Olathe he expressed those dreams with me. He talked of all the things he would teach him, taking him to sporting events, camping, fishing, getting dirty, the basic guy stuff. Having a hard time relating to what exactly I could bring to the table in terms of the "boy essentials." yeah, I know. Totally will come as a shock to you that I am and always have been a girly girl. Pink, I know. Make up, I know. Barbies, I could play all day. Dirt? Sports? Camping? Great. I wasn't going to be good at this at all. As the drive continued and Dan continued to paint the beautiful picture that was he and Hudson's boy time, I started to get scared. I was worried. I didn't seem to have any place in these to be made memories and fun times. What could I possibly have in common with out son? What could I teach him? Would he even like me? And the scariest of all, he's totally going to think Dan is better than me. I made Dan promise not to push me out, secretly knowing, I probably would be. Not to any fault of the boys, but just because. I'm not one of them. Looking back, it all seems so silly now. Sure, the boys will have their "boy stuff," their fart jokes, their fish guts and a multitude of gross things I wouldn't even pretend to get, but all the same, what Hudson and I have is so much more special and sacred than I ever could have dreamed. The connection we share, the giggles, the fun, I never could have imagined being a boy mom would be quite like this. I never imagined I could play dinosaurs for hours and vroom cars through the kitchen, or play ball all day. Sure, I'm learning my way and I know days will certainly come when he won't like to play with me anymore. But I also know, even now, that no matter how old he gets, I will always be his mama. I will forever be waiting to celebrate his triumphs, pick him up when he falls, make him laugh when he takes himself too seriously, and be his biggest cheerleader. Ok, and maybe even get dirty sometimes:). Hudson, thank you for making me a boy mom. I wouldn't want it any other way. And, here is a sweet blog about 25 Rules for Mothers and Sons. After reading a similar post about Fathers and Daughters, I, too, set out to write my own "rules" but after finding this, no longer saw I needed to. She wrote every word for me, as if from my own heart. And yep, brought tears to my eyes. Man, I love my boys. Stay tuned. Off to adventures at Disney World. You can bet posts will follow!

Comments

Popular Posts